Wondering what the kids can do this summer? Here is a list of Summer Camps happening all around the Permian Basin! Make sure to sign up early, as most of these have limited space and they fill up quickly!
Andrews County Library
The Andrews County Library Summer Reading Program is for the whole family. The summer reading program will begin June 8th and end July 10th. Every week there will be special events, like movies, performances, crafts and more! Events and performances are open to all ages. However, children under 7 years of age must have a parent to help with the craft activity.
Registering for the program and keeping track of books read will make kids eligible for a weekly prize which may be picked up at the library by showing their reading log to a library staff member. Kids will receive a completion certificate and a coupon for a snow cone at The Sugar Shack!
You do not need to have a library card to participate in the Summer Reading Program or to attend any of the summer activities. Bring your summer visitors and join the fun!
You may sign up now at acl.readsquared.com.
Dawson County Public Library Summer Reading Club
Summer Reading Club with a Bingo twist! Make sure to get signed up and you could win the grand Prize! Sign up and get more information here.
- Book Gnomes. Kids 0-2 years!
- Book Squires. Kids who can read with help, ages 3-7 years!
- Book Knights. Kids who can read on their own, ages 8-11 years!
- Book Wizards. Teens aged 12-16!
- Book Lords. Adults age 17 & up!
Ector County Library Summer Reading Program
“Imagine Your Story” with this Summer Reading Club! Make sure to get signed up and you could win the grand Prize! Sign up and get more information here.
- Children’s Read-To-Me Club. Kids 0-Kindergarten.
- Children’s Reading Club. Kids 1st-6th grade.
- Teens Reading Club. Teens aged 12-17.
- Adults Reading Club. Adults age 18 & up.
Ellen Noel Art Museum
Summer Art Camps for kids! Classes are broken down to two ages groups, between 6-8 year sand between 9-12 years. Classes offered are Ceramics, Art & Imagination, Painting, 3D Design and more! Three different dates offered, starting June 10th! Be sure to sign up because classes fill up quickly! Register here!
Girl Scouts of the Desert Southwest Virtual Day Camp
Back to Basics Virtual Day Camp Monday, July 20th-Friday, July 24th. Girls will participate in a variety of skills and activities such as knot tying skills, outdoor activities, outdoor art, songs and games, STEM activities, and arts & crafts. This will be done through a virtual platform via zoom. There will be three different time sessions. $25/girl and it includes a T-Shirt! Get registered here.
Howard County Library Virtual Summer Reading Program
The theme for this year’s Summer Reading Program is Imagine Your Story. Registration will be ongoing throughout the summer. Be sure to check out the libraries social media sites for stories, activities, performances, and more! Get all the details and registration form here.
- Monday’s 10 AM- Pick up weekly kits at the library parking lot
- Tuesday’s 10 AM- Storyland Hour
- Wednesday’s 10 AM- Performances
- Thursday’s 10 AM- Code Club
- Friday’s 10 AM- Kid’s Camp 2020, until July 10
Keep Midland Beautiful
The Clue Crew Club. Kids 6-12 years old, FREE!! Various dates throughout the summer with various crafts, science and education. FREE T-shirts! Register here!
Keep Odessa Beautiful
Planet Troopers. Kids 8-12 years old, FREE! Various dates throughout the summer with lunch, goodie bags and a pool pass! Register here!
Midland Public Libraries
Libraries Rock! Earn points by reading books and attending library events. Logging starts June 1st. Register here!
- Read to Me Club. Kids 0-4 years!
- Emergent Readers Club. Kids who can read with help, ages 5-7 years!
- Readers Club. Kids who can read on their own, ages 8-12 years!
- Teen Reading Program. Teens aged 13-19!
- Adult Reading Program. Adults age 18 & up!
Midland YMCA Mini-Camps
Outdoor mini-camps will be held at Hogan Golf Course. There will be an Outdoor Soccer Camp, A Teeball Camp and an All Sports Camp. Ages vary, but starts at 4 years and is co-ed. There will be limited spots available, so be sure to register here!
Movies in the Park
❗POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE❗
The City of Midland Parks and Recreation Division will host Movies in the Park! The movies are FREE. Be sure to bring your lawn chair and snacks. Each movies begins at dusk.
July 10th “Abominable” CJ Kelly Park
July 24th “Toy Story 4” Hogan Park
August 7th “Aladdin” Beal Park
August 21st “Frozen 2” Windlands Park
Movie Maker Mondays (at The Petroleum Museum)
Fun for everyone! Each event will feature a movie, hands-on experiments, engineering challenges, and games. They are held from 1:00-5:00pm on the second and fourth Mondays. This is for students ages 6-12 years. Pre-registration is required! Cost is $10/members, $15/non-members. Register here.
June 22nd “Toy Story 4”
July 13th “Frozen 2”
July 27th “The Addams Family”
August 10th “Abominable”
Museum of the Southwest
Family Fridays. Ages 4-12 years. This summer activities will be online and will include Family Sci-Friday movie nights on the last Friday of the month! Each Friday for the months of June and July there will be fun family activities that you can do at home. Activities will be opened up at 10 am on the dates listed and will stay open for the rest of the day. Activities are designed to be enjoyed at your own pace and include a variety of online and offline activities such as videos, art projects, games, and interactive web-based activities. Have fun, explore, create, and share what you make on Facebook or Instagram! Get all the details and supply lists here.
- June 5 – “Lonesome Dove” Cowboy up and join the Museum of the Southwest and Midland County Public Libraries and explore the West and the artwork of Lonesome Dove.
- June 12 – “Can’t Stop the Music” Discover the art of music and create your own instruments, dance, and make art to a variety of sounds and styles.
- June 19 – “Great Outdoors” Join the Museum of the Southwest and Sibley Nature Center to get outdoors and be inspired by the beauty of nature. Create environmental art and become inspired by the earth and sky.
- June 26 – “Family SciFriday” Enjoy Family movie night! Grab your favorite movie snacks, create crafts, and play Family Bingo along with a suggestion for a family friendly sci-fi movie.
- July 10 – “Stars of Stage & Sky” Join the Museum of the Southwest and Midland Community Theater to learn about celestial stars and to become a star yourself as you put your acting and story telling skills to the test!
- July 17 – “Sensational Science” Explore the scientific method with the Museum of the Southwest and Basin PBS and investigate mixtures, materials, friction, and structures with the Ruff Ruffman Show.
- July 24 – “Animal Adventures” Join the Museum of the Southwest and the Master Naturalists to explore some of Audubon’s famous birds and animals and their habitats and use your imagination to create an animal that has yet to be discovered.
- July 31 – “Family Sci-Friday” Join us for Family movie night! Grab your favorite movie snacks, create crafts, and play Family Bingo along with our suggestion for a family friendly sci-fi movie.
Summer Camp 2020 registration is underway now! There will be a limited number of participants allowed per class, so early registration is highly recommended. Classes available will be archery, Camp Runamuckis, Conversational Spanish, soccer, golf and tennis. Classes start July 6th, with some classes starting at age 5. Get all the details and get your kids registered here.
The Painted Potter
Summer Art Camps for all ages. Each camp is one week and will feature different art styles. Be sure to register as classes fill up quickly. Four week-long camps will be offered starting on July 9th at 12:00noon. Get more information here!
The Petroleum Museum
Summer Science Camps. Ages 6 to 12 years. Topics will include Mad Science, LEGO Simple Machines, and more! In all camps, students will engage in age-appropriate experiments, creative activities, and robotic design challenges that are designed to get young minds excited about science! Building a love of science develops patience, perseverance, and communication skills in children. Register here.
Ages 6-8 years
- “Wild About Science” June 10th-12th
- “Mad Science” June 17th-19th
- “LEGO Simple Machines” June 24th-26th
Ages 8-12 years
- “Innovator’s Playground” July 6th-9th
- ” LEGO Mini Masters: Monster City” July 20th-23rd
Steam Sprouts. Ages 4-5 years. $40/members, $50/non-members. Students will tap into their creative, engineering sills to solve real-world problems by engaging in hands-on investigations, building, and tinkering throughout the camp. Register here.
- “In Nature” July 29th-30th, 9:30am-11:00am or 12:30pm-2:00pm
- “LEGO Maker” August 5th-6th, 9:30am-11:00am or 12:30pm-2:00pm
Rays of Hope Summer Camps
Rays of Hope Children’s Grief Centre is a community outreach program that serves children ages 4-18 years old. There is a variety of camps offered this summer to help children through difficult time, all while making new friends and having fun. Get details and register here.
- MAD (Music, Art, Drama) Camp utilizes the expressive arts of Music, Art and Drama as tools of exploration and coping. Each day of camp includes opening and closing activities, discussion time and snacks. Camp is June 22nd-25th from 9AM-12:30PM!
- Teen Time Camp is a special time, just for teens. Adolescents who are rising 7th through 12th graders are invited to attend. This camp is designed to navigate the work of grief as the participants are also navigating puberty and the rituals of growing up. Teen Time Camp will be held July 6th-9th from 1-5PM.
- Journey Camp is exclusively for children and teens who have previously attended the HopeWorks course. This camp is designed as the next level in their grief work. This week of exploration introduces campers to the Forest of Fear, Challenge Mountain, the Ocean of Emotion, the City of Change, the Jungle of Anger and the Island of Hope. Journey Camp will be held July 27th-31st from 9AM-12:30PM!
Summer Art Camp
Kidd’s & Canvas Parties. Ages 4-14 years. These camps allow kids to let their creativity flow! Different age ranges allow kids to learn at the appropriate pace and enjoy their art experience. Themes such as Candy Land: Sweet and Treats, Slime & Monster Madness, Time Traveler, Alice in Wonderland, Harry Potter Week and more! Register here.
Mystery Island VBS at First Church of the Nazarene in Big Spring. This will be held Mon Jul 06–Fri Jul 10 AT 6 p.m.–8:30 p.m. Kids will learn the answers to questions like Is there just one God? . . . Who is God? . . . What is God like? . . . Does God love me? . . . Can I know God? Mystery Island VBS is packed with teaching that connects the Bible to the real world and gives kids a better understanding of our awe-inspiring Creator and the salvation he offers through Jesus Christ. Each day, kids will learn more about one of God’s amazing attributes (great, almighty, ruler, Emmanuel, trustworthy) and how that applies to their lives. Register here!
Concrete and Cranes VBS at First Baptist Church of Monahans. This will be held Monday, June 29th-Friday, July 3rd from 9:00am-12:00noon at Hill Park in Monahans. Kids, grab your hard hat and tool belt! As kids explore a world of concrete and cranes, rivets and rebar, bulldozers and backhoes, they will learn to build their faith on Jesus as they uncover the truth that He who began a good work will be faithful to carry it on to completion. This is for kids ages 3 years-5th grade. Register here!