I've only been in West Texas a little over a month and I continue to be amazed by all there is to see and do! Most recently I took a little trip to the Sandills and was BLOWN AWAY by the vastness of it all! Here are the top 5 things going on in Midland Odessa this weekend. I'd love for you to help me out and add to the list! Twitter/IG: GillianOnAir Fb: facbook.com/gcreilly
1. Dwight Yoakam is performing at La Hacienda tonight, doors at 8pm! Get tickets at haciendamidland.com/events/event/dwight-yoakam/
2. Celebration Of The Arts happens this weekend and tonights preview party kicks it off at the Midland center. There’s food, entertainment, Raffle and Silent Auction items are PLUS Preview Party attendees will be given premiere access to the art featured at the festival on tomorrow. Over 50 artists from Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Arizona will be featured. tickets can be purchased at the door or check out: visitmidlandtexas.com
3. The 3rd Annual Pet Parade happens Saturday! That’s at centennial plaza, and it starts at 3pm. There’s cash prizes for different categories that your pet can win. Dressing them up IS encouraged. And the entry fee is a bag of food or something dog-related, WHICH goes to our good friends at Lonestar Sactuary for Animals.
4. The Energy City 5k and 10k happens this weekend! Run through the historic neighborhoods of Midland. Starting and finishing at Midland Memorial Stadium this race promises to be a lot of fun! Medals to all half finishers, kids run with medals, a raffle, and age group awards
5. David Ball Performing at the Texas Opry theater 3pm on Saturday
I'm always looking for fun, easy ways to enhance my favorite foods and make them more nutritious. It's easier than you might think.
I came home from work yesterday STARVING. I'm sure you know the feeling. Instead of ordering a pizza, I decided to make my own...and it was more delicious, healthier and cheaper than any pizza you can get from a restaurant. I threw an egg and some kale a top the thing because they are super foods and PACKED with nutrients that I wasn't even aware of until I googled it! Below are some of the health benefits of eggs and kale that you may have not been aware of:
*Contain 9 essential amino acids
*One egg has 6 grams of high quality protien
*Naturally contains vitamin D
*Promotes healthy hair and nail growth (whoo hoo!!)
*Rich in vitamins and anti-oxidants
*Naturally balances hormones
*Alleviates cramps and nausea
*Natural energy boost!
This tasty pizza is an easy way to sneak some extra veggies and vitamins into the kids as well! Below is the recipe I used, but really you can throw on any veggies you have available in your fridge!
Gillian's Low-Calorie Egg Pizza Recipe
1 100 calorie whole wheat flatbread
5 tb jar marinara sauce
1 handfull sliced baby-bella mushrooms
1 handfull baby kale
2 cloves finely minced garlic
1 handfull grape tomatoes sliced in half
1 wheel of Mini Babybel white cheddar cheese chooped up
1 handfull red onion sliced thin
1 tb olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
- I started out by settin gmy oven to broil and popping the flatbread n for a few minutes. I wanted to toast the bread slightly so that it wouldn't end up soggy and floppy once I added sauce and toppings. Set it aside.
- Next I fried up an egg in a non-stick frying pan. Use non-stick spray if you'd like.
- Season egg with salt and pepper and set aside
- Then, I choped up the kale and tossed it in olive oil and salt and pepper
NOW YOU'RE READY TO ASSEMBLE!
- Spoon marinara sauce onto the flatbread and add the garlic, tomatoes, mushrooms, cheese, onions putting the egg on top of it all. You can season the veggies with salt and pepper at this point as well.
This is what your pizza will look like before it get's cooked under the broiler:
- Put pizza under the broiler until the cheese is melted and it it cooked to your liking. Be careful to watch the pizza so the edges of your flatbread don't burn. Double-cooking the egg this way will usually make it medium well. If you would liek the egg to be more runny, add it AFTER the pizza is done broiling.
- Once the pizza is cooked to your liking, remove it from the oven and add the kale salad on top
ENJOY! Let me know what you think :) Twitter/Instagram: @Gilllianonair
This video wasn't taken in Midland/Odessa but I could easily see it happening here. Also can I just say how much I love the internet? That 7 second video was posted just yesterday and as of writing this has already been viewed over 61 thousand times! It reminds me of the time somebody uploaded a 5 second video of a waffle falling over... that video has now been viewed over 2.8 Million times! Thanks Internet!!
Happy St. Patrick's Day! To celebrate I did some googling and the following are my top 5 favorite St. Patrick's Day Fun Facts.
1. Saint Patrick wasn't originally called Patrick. His birth name was Maewyn Succat (Remember this was Celtic England over a thousand years ago) but he changed it to Patricius when he joined the priesthood.
2. Saint Patrick is credited with driving the snakes out of Ireland but historians now know that during his life Ireland was in a Minor Ice Age and snakes straight up hate cold weather... #Science.
3. The World's Shortest St. Patrick's Day Parade is in Hot Springs, Arkansas. It is only 98 feet long. Last years Parade Grand Marshal was Jim Belushi... nobody knows why.
4. St. Patrick was once put on trial, whatever his exact charges were have been lost to history but his punishment was to "return the gifts that had been bestowed upon him by wealthy women"
5. St. Patrick had a nephew who would also eventually become known as St. Auxilius. Patrick was sainted for bringing Christianity to Ireland, that whole banishing the snakes things, and other miracles like turning a walking stick into a living Tree. Auxilius was sainted for (and I am paraphrasing) "Helping St. Patrick carry his stuff around"
Easter is one of my favorite holidays for many reasons. Spring -- rebirth -- warmer weather -- CANDY!
Jelly beans, robin's eggs, peeps, chocolate bunnies, creme eggs... all nestled in a bed of plastic grass... YES!
Knowing this, my daughter shared this buzzfeed post with me 17 Marvellous Ways To Eat A Creme Egg.
I need all of these things in my life!
1. Make Your Eyes POP!
The placement of highlights is really key when trying to make your eyes POP. Your lighter colors (whites, creams, and pearls) should be applied in the inner corners, the middle of the eye, and just under your brow bone. Apply your lightest colors first, and then move on to your darker shades. This will make you look more awake!
2. Fix Clumpy Mascara
Mascara can dry out fast...which is the most annoying thing of all time. But, there’s an easy fix for that! Add a drop or two of Visine (or any brand of eye drops) into the tube, and then rub the wand around inside. It will extend the life of your mascara safely.
3. Lipstick Ready
Creasing and dry lips are the WORST, especially when you go for a bold lip color. Avoid this by using a baby toothbrush to exfoliate your lips. Or, if you already have a facial exfoliator like St. Ives Apricot scrub (my favorite) spend a few minutes buffing out your lips with it on a washcloth. Finish with your favorite lip balm.
3. The Line Saver
Some eyeliners are more prone to smudging and running, especially those that aren’t water proof. To keep your liner in place, sweep loose or pressed powder right under the eye liner on your bottom lid. It creates a barrier, preventing your eyeliner from traveling downward.
4. The Lip Cheat
As it turns out, we weren’t all blessed with Kylie Jenner lips…some would argue that she wasn’t either BUT ANYWAYS there are a few tricks to making them appear larger WITHOUT injections! Don’t be afraid to line your lips just outside of your natural line.
I know it sounds crazy because THAT'S what I thought at first too! But then...I actually tried the coconut oil in my coffee and I will never go back. In addition to it being frothy and delicious, there are many surprising health benefits to blending coconut oil in your coffee every morning.
Coconut oil might help to:
improve immune system
support proper brain function
maintain healthy skin and hair
regulate blood sugar
increase energy levels
Cool right!? And all you need are 3 simple things....coffee, coconut oil and a blender of some kind. I use a Magic Bullet. And almost like magic, your boring coffee emerges as a beautiful latte. Add splenda and cinnamon to get EVEN fancier :) Enjoy! Let me know what you think Twitter/Instagram: @GillianOnAir
I used to not be a fan of Gordon Ramsay. He was just another guy on TV yelling all the time. I honestly thought he was just a guy who got famous in Europe for playing soccer and decided to become a chef and the idea was so novel they gave him a reality show... and then another one, and another, and then some more. After typing that sentence I got curious just how many shows Gordon Ramsay has had, so I googled it and found out he has had at least 24 shows and/or cooking specials in America and The UK combined. That is a lot of shows, and I pretty much didn't watch any of them. But there is a reason he has had so many. The guy can cook... like really really well. There is a reason he has been awarded 15 Michelin Stars (Michelin Stars are apparently like winning Best Actor, Best Film, and Best Director all at once... but for a chef)
I started to come around when some of his TV stuff went viral. Like when he ate rotted shark with another British TV host. Or when he awesomely described to a blind chef what their dish was like.
But then I became a huge fan when I came across his youtube cooking tutorials. And it has completely changed the way I cook some very basic things.
My favorite is his scrambled eggs.
Or when he makes these epic pancakes...
Or when he makes the perfect steak (the fat frying on the side thing I do all the time now)
Now if you will excuse I mysteriously became starving and have to go eat something.