If you're looking for something fun to do with the family this weekend, you won't have to look very far!
Tomorrow from 11am-1pm The Sibley Nature center is having this really cool event that is perfect for the whole family. It's called explore the outdoors and there's going to be crafts, a nature walk, PLUS Double Daves pizza! ANNNNND IT'S FREE! That's at the Wildlife Preserve off i-20 tomorrow!
Tomorrow The West Texas Iris Society will host its 37th annual Irish Show at the Midland Park Mall outside of Penney's. Once again, everything is free. You can enter to win ribbons, and iris coupons, and there's going to be edicational exhibits call 432-352-5483 for more info!
Tonight you can check out Fashion of the 1920s and the Garden Party at 6:30pm at the Noel Art Museum in Odessa. There's going to be live music and tickets are free! Call 432-550-9696 for more information.
This is fun! The Bellydance Fire fest is happening all weekend long there's going to be experienced instructors and you can learn everything there is to know about bellydancing! See midlandTXchamber.com for more info
AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST! The ACM awards happen Sunday on CBS at 7pm! Let's see if we can spot our hometown girl Sunney Johnson on TV! She of course is our big Cash Trips and Stars winner and I'm praying that we can get a little glimpse of her in the crowd! Plus it's going to be a HUGE show! Have a great weekend! :)
Your favorite country music stars (and in this case their significan others) have been having some fun on Instagram lately!
BRETT ELDREDGE needed help getting the wrinkles out of his T-shirt, so he had someone spray wrinkle remover-type stuff on it . . . and then he danced. He posted a video on Instagram and wrote, "This is what I like to call the 'de-wrinkle spray dance'."
And BRITTANY KERR posted a video slide show of pictures from her and JASON ALDEAN'S wedding in Mexico last month.
Before we get any further... it would really help out if you just play this song softly in the background.
Okay... drumroll... the following are some of my favorite (that song choice is making more sense now isn't it?) phrases we still use today... and they are my favorite entirely because they don't make a lick of sense in today's crazy modern world.
"Hang up the phone" - Let me ask you something, when was the last time you actually hung a phone? Was it in the past decade? The only phone I've seen in my lifetime that actually hangs is a pay phone. Phones have buttons now but saying "Press the button that isn't really a button but a sensor that can somehow detect my touch through solid glass like a dark wizard so that my call disconnects" doesn't have the same ring to it.
"Hold your horses" I have at most, held just one horse at any given time.
"Under the weather" Technically even if is bright and sunny out that is still weather.... all of us are always under weather all the time.
"Dime a dozen" What can you get for a dime these days? LET ALONE A DOZEN OF A THING (For those of you just tuning in a dozen means 12... which is slightly more than 11 and slightly less than 13, also "tuning in" is a pretty outdated phrase but radios do tune to the correct frequency and of course you know the correct frequency is always 99.1)
"The Sky's the Limit" - The sky is not the limit. We have robots on comets and 5 human beings currently orbiting the earth in a SPACE STATION that is directly past that whole "sky limit" thing. (Here is another fun tangent... the most recent supply run to the International Space Station included a custom built Italian Espresso Machine that will, and I quote, "revolutionize coffee-drinking in space")
1. Blend greens into fruit smoothies try blending raw baby spinach, a banana, blueberries, nonfat vanilla yogurt and pineapple or orange juice into their smoothies. Blueberries are an excellent source of antioxidants, will produce a purple color while making the taste of spinach completely undetectable ;)
2. Mix healthy cereals with sugary cereals! Cold cereal is probably the easiest breakfast in the whole world...but it can be difficult to choose while shopping for kids...because you know, Fruity Pebbles. No parent likes watching their kid eat a bowl of neon, sugar puffs and then beng forced to deal with the wrath of the sugar high after. But ever think of this?... There's no law against mixing them! Sugary cereals, in small amounts, aren't terrible for kids, and using them as a tool to sneak in whole-grain cereals makes everyone happier in the long-run.
3. Puree! One of the best methods of sneaking vitamins and minerals into kids' meals is through pureed veggies. Marinara sauce, is a perfect camouflage for blended zucchini and carrots. Yogurt and white beans can be mixed into into tuna and chicken salad sandwiches to cut fat and increase protein content. Vegetable purees are easy to make and then freeze for later. Just defrost and stir them in when you need them. While sneaking vegetables into kids' favorite foods is a great way to keep them well-fed, the results can be disastrous if you're caught. So, be careful out there!!!
Next month we as a society will celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Glen Cambell's "Rhinestone Cowboy." To celebrate this milestone and/or because they got really bored... some guy on the internet mashed together the most epic Movie Western scenes from the past 40 years and scored it to... you guessed it... Rhinestone Cowboy. Yea you've probably seen Clint Eastwood murder bad guys with a six-shooter before, but you haven't seen him to do it while "Riding out on a horse in a star-spangled rodeo" plays overhead.
The city of Odessa invites you to the annual Bunny Hop 5k tomorrow! It starts at 9am and it's just a really awesome thing to do with the family. There's going to be winners in 4 age divisions and a prize for best bunny costume! And here's my favorite part..the first 100 ppl to register get a free tshirt!
Also tomorrow is Odessa's Easter Spring Fling. It starts with an egg hunt at 11am at the UTPB Soccer Fields. Plus, thousands of giveaways! After the hunt you can stick around for crafts, games food ANNNNNND pics with Peter Cotton Tail…for more info on that you can call 432-368-3548
The Midland Farmers market has officially changed locations. You can now enjoy fresh local produce on Saturdays at the museum of the Southwest. I can't wait to check that out!
Tonight if you're in the mood for some live music Cody Joe Hodges will be performing at Lonestar bar
And also tomorrow at the Wagner-Noel, sea creatures are taking the stage with a beautiful show called ImaginOcean. It's actually black-light puppet show with music…so cool and it's for kids of all ages. Check out Wagner-Noel.com for tickets!
I'm not ashamed to admit that I am a total Star Wars geek. I had a HUGE crush on Luke & Han (duh). And I loved the idea of droid friends. Somewhere, I still have my R2D2 that I bought in the late 80's. I saw this video trending on Facebook & I had to...
I've only been in West Texas a little over a month and I continue to be amazed by all there is to see and do! Most recently I took a little trip to the Sandills and was BLOWN AWAY by the vastness of it all! Here are the top 5 things going on in Midland Odessa this weekend. I'd love for you to help me out and add to the list! Twitter/IG: GillianOnAir Fb: facbook.com/gcreilly
1. Dwight Yoakam is performing at La Hacienda tonight, doors at 8pm! Get tickets at haciendamidland.com/events/event/dwight-yoakam/
2. Celebration Of The Arts happens this weekend and tonights preview party kicks it off at the Midland center. There’s food, entertainment, Raffle and Silent Auction items are PLUS Preview Party attendees will be given premiere access to the art featured at the festival on tomorrow. Over 50 artists from Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Arizona will be featured. tickets can be purchased at the door or check out: visitmidlandtexas.com
3. The 3rd Annual Pet Parade happens Saturday! That’s at centennial plaza, and it starts at 3pm. There’s cash prizes for different categories that your pet can win. Dressing them up IS encouraged. And the entry fee is a bag of food or something dog-related, WHICH goes to our good friends at Lonestar Sactuary for Animals.
4. The Energy City 5k and 10k happens this weekend! Run through the historic neighborhoods of Midland. Starting and finishing at Midland Memorial Stadium this race promises to be a lot of fun! Medals to all half finishers, kids run with medals, a raffle, and age group awards
5. David Ball Performing at the Texas Opry theater 3pm on Saturday
I'm always looking for fun, easy ways to enhance my favorite foods and make them more nutritious. It's easier than you might think.
I came home from work yesterday STARVING. I'm sure you know the feeling. Instead of ordering a pizza, I decided to make my own...and it was more delicious, healthier and cheaper than any pizza you can get from a restaurant. I threw an egg and some kale a top the thing because they are super foods and PACKED with nutrients that I wasn't even aware of until I googled it! Below are some of the health benefits of eggs and kale that you may have not been aware of:
*Contain 9 essential amino acids
*One egg has 6 grams of high quality protien
*Naturally contains vitamin D
*Promotes healthy hair and nail growth (whoo hoo!!)
*Rich in vitamins and anti-oxidants
*Naturally balances hormones
*Alleviates cramps and nausea
*Natural energy boost!
This tasty pizza is an easy way to sneak some extra veggies and vitamins into the kids as well! Below is the recipe I used, but really you can throw on any veggies you have available in your fridge!
Gillian's Low-Calorie Egg Pizza Recipe
1 100 calorie whole wheat flatbread
5 tb jar marinara sauce
1 handfull sliced baby-bella mushrooms
1 handfull baby kale
2 cloves finely minced garlic
1 handfull grape tomatoes sliced in half
1 wheel of Mini Babybel white cheddar cheese chooped up
1 handfull red onion sliced thin
1 tb olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
- I started out by settin gmy oven to broil and popping the flatbread n for a few minutes. I wanted to toast the bread slightly so that it wouldn't end up soggy and floppy once I added sauce and toppings. Set it aside.
- Next I fried up an egg in a non-stick frying pan. Use non-stick spray if you'd like.
- Season egg with salt and pepper and set aside
- Then, I choped up the kale and tossed it in olive oil and salt and pepper
NOW YOU'RE READY TO ASSEMBLE!
- Spoon marinara sauce onto the flatbread and add the garlic, tomatoes, mushrooms, cheese, onions putting the egg on top of it all. You can season the veggies with salt and pepper at this point as well.
This is what your pizza will look like before it get's cooked under the broiler:
- Put pizza under the broiler until the cheese is melted and it it cooked to your liking. Be careful to watch the pizza so the edges of your flatbread don't burn. Double-cooking the egg this way will usually make it medium well. If you would liek the egg to be more runny, add it AFTER the pizza is done broiling.
- Once the pizza is cooked to your liking, remove it from the oven and add the kale salad on top
ENJOY! Let me know what you think :) Twitter/Instagram: @Gilllianonair