So much to do this weekend in Midland Odessa! Whether you want to see live music or do something fun with the whole family, there is something for you!
1. Midland Downtown Farmers Market opens, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturday at Museum of the Southwest. I recently went and picking up some of the most amazing homemade pickles and peach preserves of my life…I suggest you check it out! More info at
2. For this kids! Mini Day Camp: Wonderful World of Wildlife, 9 a.m.-noon today at Sibley Nature Center. More info at sibleynaturecenter.org.
3. One of my favorite movies EVER “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” screening for Flash Back Fridays, 5 p.m.-midnight tonight at RTD Skatepark. For more info call 235-7001.
4. Hot Summer Nights: Lone Star Attitude is performing tonight! On their website is says they are a contemporary country group. They go on at sundown tonight at Noel Plaza in Odessa. facebook.com/odessaarts.
5. And don’t for get that HUGE show going down this Saturday at KD’s BBQ. Charlie Robison, The Thieving Birds and No Dry County all performing! For more info check out KD's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/KDsBBQ?fref=ts
You don't have to go very far to find something fun to do this weekend. Check out all the fun and excitement happening in Midland Odessa below :)
1. I recently check this out for the first time ever: Summer Mummers “Masked Mummers in Midtropolis … or No News is Good News” is today and Saturday and actually every Friday and Saturday through Sept. 5 at the Yucca Theatre. More info at summermummers.com.
2. Are you super into cars? The Boulevard Nights Car Show is happening today and tomorrow at Horseshoe Pavilion. midlandhorseshoe.com.
3. Do you love Chihuahuas and the color pink? Legally Blonde The Musical is being performed through Sunday at the Permian Playhouse in Odessa!
Performance Dates and Times: July 10,11,17 & 18 at 8:00 pm July 12 & 19 at 2:30 pm
Call 432-550-5456 or visit the website at www.permianplayhouse.com for ticket
4. The Rockhounds play San Antonio tonight at 7pm at the Scharbauer Sports Complex! Go Rockhounds!
5. Learn to Line Dance! …Or brush up on your skills…This Sunday July 19th at American legion 2701 E. 8th Street in Odessa at 2pm!
The Rubik's Cube is a weird thing. Is it a toy? A puzzle? A source of incomprehensible anger and frustration from my youth? Yes. Erno Rubik invented a thing that had only one right answer and billions upon billions of wrong answers (edit: so I actually just Googled it and the possible variations of a Rubik's Cube are 4x10^19 or 43 Quintillion... still only one of those is the right one). I consider myself a pretty bright guy but I have never solved one of those things in my life; I was solidly in the "let me just take off all the stickers and put them back in order to solve it" camp. There was always that one kid in school who figured out the trick to solving it in a few seconds and would show it off every chance they got (I'm looking at you Jacob! I don't care if I was a groomsman in your wedding, that wasn't cool bro).
Well imagine if one of those kids who was really good at solving Rubik's Cubes was like "Oh okay... this is what I do now."
Oh wait, you don't have to imagine it because a guy named Steven Brundage was that kid, and he Rubik's all day. He is so good at moving a plastic cube made up of smaller plastic cubes around that he has turned it into a professional magic act. And once again I'm a pretty bright guy... but Steven is definitely using real magic. In fact he just won on Fool Us, it's a show where Penn & Teller watch magic acts and if they can't figure out how the act happened the performer gets to open for them in Vegas. In the history of the show only a select few have fooled Penn & Teller and usually they can guess how it happened but aren't completely sure. For Steven they just stand up and say "He fooled us."
I've seen this video a few times now and I still am just like... huh?
There's so many unique things happening around town this weekend...including one thing that's on my bucket list! Check out the list below! :)
1. I’ve always wanted to do one of these! Theres going to be a Murder-mystery dinner tonight! Called “Murder at the Juice Joint,” 6:30 p.m. tonight at Midland County Public Library Centennial branch. For more info: www.co.midland.tx.us/lib.
2. Kimberly Dunn will be performing 7:30-10 p.m. tonight at Basin Burger House. Grab some delicious food and maybe even a few beers while getting entertained…what could be better than that? For more info: basinburgerhouse.com.
3. If you’re in the mood to relax and maybe catch a movie…there’s screenings of Alfred hitchcock’s “Rear Window” tonight and tomorrow night 7:30pm at Ector Theatre (bring someone to cuddle with if you scare easily). For more infoectortheatre.com.
4. If you’re into the blues the Tall City Blues Fest is happening all weekend in downtown Midland! at Centennial Plaza. In addition to obviously great blues music, there’s going to be a silent auction. They are going to have contemporary art from all over north America! For more info: tallcitybluesfest.com.
5. Some more arts! Pickwick Players’ will be performing “All Shook Up,” July 10-18 at Midland Community Theatre. For more info: mctmidland.org.