I owe my purple sage bush an apology. I scoffed at it's crazy blooms Monday. I doubted it's prediction of rain with it's beautiful flowers. And we all know what happened Tuesday morning at about 4am; that storm was crazy!! All I know is that I won't doubt that crazy bush again.
Here's what Wikipedia says about the "purple sage:
Much fun is to be had this weekend in Midland Odessa! Check out hte list below to find some fun for the whole family! :)
1. The Sibley nature Center is still having their Mini Day Camps. Today’s is: Rock-O-Rama. Kids get to learn all about rocks and minerals and even dig for gold! That’s today 9am-noon at Sibley Nature Center. sibleynaturecenter.org.
2. If you have that unruly teenager that you’re never sure what to do with…this could be fun! RTD Skatepark is screening “The Last Dragon” for their Flash Back Fridays, 5 p.m.-midnight tonight at RTD Skatepark. More info at: 235-7001.
3. Hank Williams Jr. is performing tonight 8 p.m. at Wagner Noel Performing Arts Center. More info at: wagnernoel.com.
4. This is super fun for the WHOLE family, Museum of the Southwest is having their SciFriday Show. Today it’s“King Kong vs. Godzilla,” that’s 8 p.m. at Blakemore Planetarium. More info at: museumsw.org.
5. West Texas Salseros Latin Night, 9 p.m. is tonight at DoubleTree by Hilton Midland Plaza. It’s a free Latin dance lesson! Plus their going to have some amazing salsa dancer performers…going to be so fun! More info at: wtxsalseros.com.
Below are some of the fun things you can be doing this weekend...some of them..FREE! :)
MOVIES IN THE PARK continues in Odessa! Tomorrow/this Saturday at McKinney Park they will be showing Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. As always, it’s free! You can bring snack but they do have consessions. More info @ Odessa-tx.gov
Gabriel Iglesias, 8 p.m. June 18-20 at Wagner Noel Performing Arts Center. wagnernoel.com.
Crash Masters Summer Festival, June (today through Sunday) 18-21 at Horseshoe Outdoor Arena. midlandhorseshoe.com.
Mini Day Camp: Wonderful World of Wildlife, 9 a.m.-noon June 19 at Sibley Nature Center. sibleynaturecenter.org.
First Off... let me set the scene for you... it was last week, and everybody was talking about health foods. Specifically the wonder grain Quinoa and how healthy it was... then somebody started about Chia seeds and how healthy they were. This is where the tangent began.
"Chia seeds? Like what they use for Chia pets? 'Ch-ch-cha Chia' Pets from one of the best commercial jingles of all time?"
So instead of Googling health properties of chia seeds I just immediately go online and order a Chia Pet... we live in the future and we can do that now.
It arrived yesterday. So did I get a Chia Dog? A Chia Cat? The Chia Pig? No... I got Chia Abe Lincoln.
Here is how it works... you soak the clay planter part in water for an hour, then you add the seeds to a bit of water and stir it around until it becomes this gel-like paste that you spread over where you want it to grow. It said to use a plastic knife or spoon so naturally we just use our hands. It... didn't go well. So throughout the day we added more coats of the seeds... we were supposed to have enough seeds to last at least three plantings... but we used them all for this first attempt.
CHIA ABE LINCOLN: DAY ONE
Technically speaking we weren't supposed to spread seeds over his beard but we figured you couldn't have a Chia Abe without a Chia Beard. I think real Abe would agree (He would also be pretty freaked out for several other reasons if we were actually able to ask him).
We should have full Chia growth within 1 to 2 weeks, I will be updating this with photos as it progresses.
Look at all the fun happening in our back yard this weekend!!! :)
1. The 9th Annual Victory Run, Walk & Ride is happening Saturday! Check in is at 7:30am, race at 8:30am. All proceeds will go to benefit cancer patients in the Permian Basin! Awards will be given out for Top 3 male and female runners in Several Categories. FOR MORE INFO: midlandrockhounds.org
2. MIDLAND HUMANE COALITION is having the 1st annual 5k Hot Dog Fun Run! Happening tomorrow, registration starts at 645am. Meet rescue dogs, or even borrow one to run or walk with! All the proceeds are going to help with adoption costs like vetting etc. MORE INFO: MidlandHumane.org
3. The third Annual Daddy Daughter Dance is going down tomorrow! Dads and their little princesses can dance and enjoy appetizers and theres even going to be a formal photo area. All put on by the wonderful people at Odessa Parks and Recreation. The MCM Elegante hotel Ballroom. $15. FOR MORE INFO: Odessa-tx.goV
4. Tomorrow the Humane Society of Odessa is having an open house! Doggie kissing booth, face painting, hot dogs and burgers and a ton more. Stars at 5pm FOR MORE INFO CALL: 432-381-5503
5. The Great Outdoor Expo happens all weekend starting today! That’s going down at the Horseshoe Pavilion. Kids activities, hunting and fishing accessories from around the world, door prizes FOR MORE INFO: MidlandHorseshoe.com
Ramen don't have to just be for broke college students or the meal you make for your kids when you're desperate and there's nothing in the cabinet! Yes...they still work for those purposes BUT...Ramen noodles can actually still be simple, healthy, delicious, flavorful AND fresh! Below is a simple recipe I tried yesterday that was surprisingly SO GOOD!
Science can be real crazy sometime, all my life I've read that real lasers aren't nearly as cool as the lasers that are in the movies. I'd always read that powerful lasers would have to be invisible, and wouldn't look like a cool Storm Trooper blaster from Star Wars... I'd accepted that reality and moved on with my life.
And then there is this guy...
This guy, who I only know by his YouTube name styropyro, probably heard all the same anti-climatic things about lasers and then was like "Nah... I'm gonna build a Laser Shotgun"
AND THEN HE DID!!!!
Here is all the techno talk about the lasers from the about section of the video:
Just finished building my 40W(!!!) laser shotgun!!! The output of this laser is complete insanity, and is made up of 8 parallel 5W laser beams totaling to 40W. The parallel beams are manipulated with lenses, sort of like how a choke modifies the spread of a shotgun blast.
The massive diode array is powered by a huge lithium polymer battery pack (capable up dumping 250A) and the laser array is regulated by a whopping 24 LM317 drivers.
Yep those were words. But the important thing here is that a random guy in his garage, who spends his free non-lasering time raising giant moths, built a laser shooting/ping-pong ball burning/shotgun... just because he could. What a time to be alive.
"There is no good reason for anybody to own something this powerful, but since it wasn't illegal for me to build, I decided to build it anyway" -styropyro
I'm so excited for the weekend in Midland Odessa because it seems like there's even more stuff happening than usual! If you just want to wind down and have a beer and watch sports, see a free, live musical performance with your sweetheart, or you need a fun activity to enjoy with the kids...there's something happening for EVERYONE this weekend!
1. Doug Russell Aquatic Center grand opening, noon-7 p.m. Saturday at Doug Russell Aquatic Center.
2.Dovetail, (Rock the House Concert Series) 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Basin Burger House.
3. Midland Heirs Band is performing for the Summer Sunday Lawn Concerts starting at 7:30 p.m. that’s Sunday at Museum of the Southwest.
4.Buffalo Wild Wings in Odessa -Saturday starting at 1pm, sports all day long, champions league soccer finals, Belmont stakes for the Triple Crown, NBA Finals, Boxing Match…all while eating delicious wings and drinking beer. Check it out!
5. Summer Reading Kickoff event “Superheroes in Training,” noon-3 p.m. Saturday at Midland County Public Library downtown location.
Father's Day is just a couple of weeks away & Kevin Fowler wants to see your pictures... Here's the details:
"DADDIES AND DAUGHTERS"
PHOTO CONTEST AND FREE DOWNLOAD
Father's Day is June 21! Get your picture featured in Kevin's new online fan video for "Daddies and Daughters." To submit your picture, upload it below or share on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram and use #daddiesanddaughters - Kevin will pick his favorites to feature in the video. By submitting your photo, you are giving Kevin Fowler permission to include it in an online music video.